"YOUR CHOICE" CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP
There are so many different ways to make chicken noodle soup. This one is a family favorite of ours. If you haven't tried sweet potatoes in chicken noodle soup, you have to try it, you will never go back to the old way. If you think about it sweet potatoes have the same consistency as parsnips (a usual ingredient in chicken noodle soup). It really gives it a different twist!
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 carrots chopped
1 small onion
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 green onions
2 cloves of garlic
1 Tbsp dried dill (optional)
4.5 cups of broth (vegetable or chicken)
Choose one protein:
• Cubed meat of one cooked 1 ½ lb chicken or 3 cups chicken breast
• 1 pkg of firm tofu
Choose two carbohydrates:
• 1 medium sweet potato
• 1 cup cooked brown rice
• 1 cup wide egg noodles
• 1 cup parsnips, chopped
1. Heat 2 tbsps of olive oil
2. Saute together carrots, onions, celery 2 . 5 min
3. Add salt, pepper and garlic and sauté another minute www.focused-fitness.com Velma Garnes, MS, NASM-PES
4. Add 2 cups of broth, potatoes or parsnips and simmer until potatoes or parsnips are fork tender, wide noodles are firm (al dente), or rice is heated through.
5. Add chicken or tofu and heat through.
6. Garnish with dill and green onions
Nutrition Facts (broth only) per serving:
Nutrition Facts for adding...
1 ½ lb chicken/3 cups chicken breast per serving:
1 pkg firm tofu per serving:
1 medium sweet potato per serving:
1 cup cooked brown rice per serving:
1 cup wide egg noodles per serving:
1 cup parsnips per serving:
TIP: Whichever proteins or carbohydrates you choose to add, remember to add them into the *nutrition facts without the proteins or carbohydrates data.
-Jim Beatty, CSCS, CPT – Fitness Professional and Wellness Coach
FitnWell Main Line Philadelphia Fitness Studio
128 West Lancaster Ave., Wayne, PA 19087